Re: (Revisiting) Using airport- doesn't anyone know?

Subject: Re: (Revisiting) Using airport- doesn't anyone know?
From: William K. Gibson (firstdesk@columbus.rr.com)
Date: Tue Jun 19 2001 - 13:49:01 MDT

on 6/7/01 7:15 PM, Brice D Ruth at brice@webprojkt.com wrote:

>I have MOL setup on an iMac DV w/ AirPort and it works fine. I have done as
>Sam suggested - tap device + masquerading since this how I'm used to setting up
>shared networking from my PC experience w/ VMware.

>With kernel 2.4.x, you'll use iptables, so you'll want something to the
>following effect:

I really wish to thank Brice, Samuel, Derrik, Tom, and Reto for their kind
and intelligent responses. However, I must regretfully say that after ten
days of trying various things, I am still exactly where I was. I have tried
just about everything and the internet access is still deathly slow. I set
up a tap0 interface and tried to use it and it is still slow.

First: I don't understand why my compile of the benh 2.4.5 kernel decides to
set up airport as eth1. I have no idea what I did wrong there.

Second: I tried to set up a tap0 device and follow directions on various
sites (like the MOL FAQ). It was extremely difficult to understand and
repeated persusal of various HOWTOs, man pages, and web pages did not make
it any easier. Each source seemed to leave out important details. Putting
them all together I attempted many many different scenarios.

I tried setting up masquerades for the various interfaces. I tried to make
various changes in /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/tap0/... I tried to use the route
command to set up a route from MOL to the gateway address of my base station
using tap0. I tried using route to set up a route from MOL to my linux box
using tap0. I tried using route to set up a route from MOL using eth1. Etc.
etc. Nothing seemed to work.

Third: What should be the gateway address on the Macintosh side? Should it
be the linux box or the base station? Both seemed to work- but did nothing
to improve the speed. And what should be the gateway address on the routing
table side for tap0? Should it be the linux box or the base station?

Fourth: I tried setting my own arp entries which was recommended by one
site. But they seemed to get set automatically. Anyway it didn't help.

Fifth:
>iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth1 -j MASQUERADE (assuming eth1 is your
>AirPort card)

This I don't understand. Why set up a masquerade on eth1? Shouldn't I set up
a masquerade on tap0? And supposing I did this correctly, what would be the
effect of a masquerade on a packet from MOL that was sent to the base
station, which does it's own masquerade? This seems like it would screw up
the packet. I just don't get it.

Anyway, masquerading on both tap0 and eth1 did not help or hinder the
transmission of packets. The only thing that worked was the routing table
entry for tap0. And of course it was still slow.

Sixth: Should eth0, eth1, and tap0 all have the same internal ip address or
should they be different? I tried giving them all 10.0.1.5. It worked but
again no help on speed. I tried giving them the range 10.0.1.3-5. It worked
but no help on the speed.

I'm at my wits end here, and ready to give up. I really wanted to use MOL
wirelessly but unless I can figure this out, it looks like I'm going to have
to run wires where ever I use my machine or reboot. I can only think I
missed something on the Linux side- like DNS problems, or forgetting to
compile something into the kernel that Airport needs (although there was no
blurb for it to tell me what), or maybe I set up my tap0 interface poorly.

If anyone can point me toward a comprehensive and definitive source for
using MOL with airport or even with a tap interface, I would really
appreciate it.

--William K. Gibson
1stDesk Systems
firstdesk@columbus.rr.com