Re: (Revisiting) Using airport- doesn't anyone know?

Subject: Re: (Revisiting) Using airport- doesn't anyone know?
From: Brice D Ruth (brice@webprojkt.com)
Date: Tue Jun 19 2001 - 15:46:23 MDT

Wow, you have certainly run the gamut on configurations! I'm not sure
what's going on or what's wrong, but I'll try my darndest to help you
out. I've been running MacOS exclusively on the iMac DV I have LinuxPPC
installed on (I was doing 100% of my work in the MacOS, didn't see why I
should be booting into Linux just to start MOL :)).

I'm a bit behind, though - so maybe what I'll do is grab the YDL 2.0
isos, install the latest & greatest kernel, then rsync the latest mol
and start trying to get things to work. Just to refresh my memory, what
hardware are you running and what distribution are you running? As many
details (however insignificant they may seem) as you can provide will help.

To answer your question about masquerading - here's how that works.
 When you enable IP forwarding in the linux kernel (echo 1 >
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward) the kernel will forward IP packets
according to its routing table - so if it receives a packet destined for
say www.apple.com from the tap0 interface, it will automagically forward
that to its default interface (assuming you're not on the subnet of
www.apple.com :)). However, a response (ack) packet from www.apple.com
will encounter some difficulty in getting back to your tap0 interface,
since the return address of the packet you sent is a private network
address, the routers on the Internet won't know what to do with it.
 Enter masquerading - by setting up eth1 to masquerade, you're telling
the kernel that it should modify the outgoing packets for eth1 so that
they can safely get back - the kernel's forwarding takes care of getting
packets from tap0 to eth1, the masquerading takes care of everything
thereafter. Does that make sense?

OK - let me get started on my iMac, we'll see how things go :)

-Brice

--
WebProjkt, Inc.
(ph) 773.562.1008