Re: (Revisiting) Using airport- doesn't anyone know?

Subject: Re: (Revisiting) Using airport- doesn't anyone know?
From: William K. Gibson (firstdesk@columbus.rr.com)
Date: Thu Jun 21 2001 - 07:54:15 MDT

on 6/19/01 5:46 PM, Brice D Ruth at brice@webprojkt.com wrote:

>Just to refresh my memory, what hardware are you running and what distribution
>are you running? As many details (however insignificant they may seem) as you
>can provide will help.

Ok, thanks.

I'm using a Titanium powerbook. Originally I started with YDL 1.2 but I
upgraded to ben's kernel (Linux PPC 2.4.5) in order to take advantage of
airport and other items. I compiled the kernel myself and tried my darndest
to include all the options I would need - including legacy tap0 stuff and
legacy ipchains. Well, ipchains refuses to work in spite of this so I
switched to iptables anyway. Most of the options came with help, except for
the airport, which did not. I still don't understand why the airport module
comes up as eth1 instead of airport.

Again, I'm using the Base Station as a router to my little private network.
The Base Station itself connects through DHCP to a cable modem.

Here is an interesting tidbit though. When ifconfig brings up both eth0 and
eth1 and I ping a site- the ping travels from the eth0 interface in spite of
the fact that I have set eth1 as the gateway device. I verified this by
setting eth0 and eth1 to two seperate IP addresses and also unplugging the
ethernet cable from the machine. If I call 'ifconfig eth0 down' and then
ping, it uses the eth1 interface. Weird- but maybe its just how ping works?

--William K. Gibson
1stDesk Systems
firstdesk@columbus.rr.com