Re: (Revisiting) Using airport- doesn't anyone know?

Subject: Re: (Revisiting) Using airport- doesn't anyone know?
From: Brice D Ruth (brice@webprojkt.com)
Date: Thu Jun 21 2001 - 08:53:16 MDT

All right, I'll mimic your configuration and go from there. I was
trying to grab YDL 2.0, but it appears that the ISOs aren't available
for download yet (not that I was able to find) - and I don't have a
retail store close by that I can go pick them up at.

Anyway, as far as the eth0/eth1 thing with ping - if you're using your
AirPort card exclusively, the eth0 interface should not be up. I had a
similar setup to you, using the AirPort basestation w/ DHCP to my cable
modem. I recently changed it to simply bridge to my firewall box and a
few servers, so that I could access those via my wireless boxes. Here's
an example of my routing table, on my laptop running Mandrake Linux 8,
with a PrismII wireless card, talking to an AirPort basestation: (route -n)

*Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use
Iface*
10.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
172.16.113.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0
vmnet1
127.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 lo
0.0.0.0 10.0.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0

In this example, my PrismII wireless card comes up as eth0, since I
don't have any other interfaces plugged in (the Titanium has built-in
ethernet, so it will always detect it first, assign eth0, then detect
the AirPort and assign it eth1). Ignore the vmnet1 - that's for my
VMware virtual session. My wireless card receives the IP address
10.0.0.3 from the DHCP server on my firewall, via the AirPort
basestation that is bridging, hence a route to 10.0.0.0 exists via eth0.
 My vmnet1 interface has an assigned IP address of 172.16.113.1, so a
route exists via vmnet1 to 172.16.113.0. My localhost loopback
interface creates a route to 127.0.0.0 via its IP address of 127.0.0.1
and the interface lo. Lastly, my gateway is set as 10.0.0.1 (my
firewall) and the routing table correctly identifies that any packet not
covered by the previous three entries should be sent to 10.0.0.1 via the
eth0 interface. Does this make sense?

Hope this helped clear up the routing table :)

-Brice

--
WebProjkt, Inc.
(ph) 773.562.1008