Re: using kernel 2.4.2 with mol

Subject: Re: using kernel 2.4.2 with mol
From: Quentin Mason (quentin-mason@cornell.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 27 2001 - 19:19:07 MDT

> rpm -Uvh mol-0.9.59-1a.src.rpm
> rpm -Uvh mol-kmods-0.9.59-1.src.rpm
> which left compressed tar balls and all sorts of patches in
> /usr/src/rpm/SOURCES. How do I proceed. Where shall I uncompress/tar
> and how do I install patches? Then can I simply config/make/install.
> What about all this kmods stuff, do I have to recompile a kernel? Hope
> I'm not over my head, but I appreciate any words of wisdom. Thanks for
> any help.

A rpm --rebuild XXX.src.rpm will compile the binary ppc.rpm for you and
leave it in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/ppc If you want to f*ck with it then rpm
-Uvh XXX.src.rpm will do what you have described. Read through the
XXX.spec file in /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/ to see what rpm -ba
/usr/src/redhat/SPECS/XXX.spec will do. Beasically it will untar the
source, patch it, ./configure --sensible options, make, make install, to a
suitable build tree. The binaries and paths are then put in the ppc.rpm

You can simply configure/make/make install, but sometimes the
documentation is handled outside that process, and the patching is not
dones automatically.

Have a look at "man rpm" in the building section to see options for just
doing certain parts of the above. It may be easiest to modify the spec
file, that way if you need to make the same mods again you can just use
the same spec (usually) on an updated source.

HTH
Good luck,

Q.