Re: Full screen capable?

Subject: Re: Full screen capable?
From: Timothy A. Seufert (tas@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Jun 27 2001 - 20:03:10 MDT

At 10:06 AM -0400 6/27/01, Quentin Mason wrote:

>In my experience yes, MOL is even slightly faster for some things!

In tests I've run, CPU bound stuff seems to be 95%+ as fast as it
would be under plain MacOS, which is very good. Disk access involves
significant overhead, *but* the underlying disk performance can be
much faster due to the vastly superior Linux disk caching, so there
are often big wins when doing disk intensive things.

You need lots of RAM to run MOL well, which should not be surprising...

>The thing with MOL is that the video is not hardware accelerated as
>much as MacOS (if at all)... and graphics performance benchmarks are a lot
>smaller for MOL than native.

Yep. It also makes a huge difference to run MOL fullscreen; the X
mode is nowhere near as fast.

   Tim Seufert