Re: Locked volume

Subject: Re: Locked volume
From: Brice D Ruth (brice@webprojkt.com)
Date: Sat Jun 30 2001 - 20:33:30 MDT

Glad you got things to work! Always good to hear another success story ;)

Now, to your questions:

1) You'll need to setup networking. This can occur in a variety of
ways, I'll tell you how I do it. In Linux, I have 'Net access via the
device /* eth1*/ - if you use dial-up, this will probably be /*ppp0*/
for you. I create an ethertap device -your kernel will need to support
this as a module or built-in. I configure the ethertap device (tap0)
and then setup IP forwarding & masquerading in Linux, start MOL and
setup networking in MacOS. Here's what I do:
(as root)

*/sbin/modprobe ethertap**
**/sbin/ifconfig tap0 192.168.1.1 \
  broadcast 192.168.1.255 \
  netmask 255.255.255.0 up**
**echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward**
**/sbin/iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o /eth1/ -j MASQUERADE**
**startmol**
*
Once in MacOS, I setup my TCP/IP to use IP Addr 192.168.1.2, netmask
255.255.255.0, router/gateway 192.168.1.1, and DNS 24.6.204.17 (you'll
use your own DNS server, whatever you have on the Linux side). That's
it - save your settings and you ought to have access, assuming you have
access from Linux.

2) If your USB printer doesn't work under Linux, then you're probably
SOL, at least as far as I know. The good news is, there's a damn good
chance that your printer DOES work under Linux - and that you can then
share it to your Mac as a Postscript printer (even if the printer itself
isn't Postscript capable). We can tackle the printer issue in a
separate email, but essentially you'll be setting up the Common Unix
Printing System (CUPS) in Linux, which you can find RPMs for.

3) Full screen - I typically run MOL from one of my console terminals
(1-6), i.e. outside of X Windows. I'm not sure if MOL automagically
starts itself full-screen in VT8 if you start from w/in X, but I know
it does if you start from the console. So, simply switch to a console
(ctl-command F1,F2,F3,F4,F5, or F6), login as root and startmol.

Hope this gets you a little closer to the nirvana that is MOL! ;) Enjoy.

-Brice