RE: Locked volume

Subject: RE: Locked volume
From: Derrik Pates (dpates@dsdk12.net)
Date: Sat Jun 30 2001 - 21:06:06 MDT

On Sat, 30 Jun 2001, Al Koller wrote:

> 1. How can I get the system to allow me to surf the net? I cannot see out
> in MOL, although the programs (Netscape and IE) both run and try.

Load the sheep_net module that Mac-on-Linux builds (it'll be in
/usr/lib/mol/modules/), and in /etc/molrc, specify a 'netdev:' line naming
the network interface you want it to use, with a ' -sheep' suffix, to tell
Mac-on-Linux to use the SheepShaver network bridge device. You won't be
able to use dynamic address assignment - you will have to pick some static
address that the MacOS session can use (and it can't be the same as the
Linux side's IP). You'll also be able to use AppleTalk (and IPX, if you
install the NetWare client for MacOS).

> 2. How can I get a USB printer to work? I have an HP and am using an iMac,
> so this is pretty important.

Does it work in Linux? If so, you need to configure papd (part of the
'netatalk' package) on the Linux side, and simply share your printer from
the Linux side to the Mac side.

> 3. How can I get a full screen using MOL? Right now my window is limited to
> about half the screen. My other screens in KDE will expand to full screen,
> but not MOL.

The default MoL configuration puts a full-screen view onto a virtual
console. Have a look at the output of 'startmol' on standard out - it
should mention which virtual console it picked. Just switch to that one
(on the G3 I use at work, it picks VC 8 - Ctrl-Alt-F8 switches me out to
it).

Derrik Pates | Sysadmin, Douglas School | #linuxOS on EFnet
dpates@dsdk12.net | District (dsdk12.net) | #linuxOS on OPN