Re: So what's your good idea?

Subject: Re: So what's your good idea?
From: Derrik Pates (dpates@andromeda.dsdk12.net)
Date: Sun Mar 11 2001 - 18:49:59 MST

On Mon, 12 Mar 2001, [big5] John Hancock wrote:

> You've told me that holding down the shift key while
> I boot turns off all but the most essential extensions
> (gee - wonder how I found out about holding down the
> shift key durning the bootprocess? Well, actually it
> was just a lucky guess. I was just booting my Mac one
> day and I thought, "hey, why don't I just hold down
> the shift key and see what happens?" And then, you
> know what? The thing booted without all the
> extensions! I am such a computer genius that things
> like this just "come" to me).
> So what's your good idea, Mr. Macintosh? Does MOL
> support networking or not? If so, do you know of any
> list of directions that explains how to do this?
> Because I have yet to find one.

Hold the Shift key during the MoL startup, then start up the Extension
Manager, and disable everything but the basics. Then try restarting MoL
normally (without holding Shift), and see if you can get things working.

The big thing is to figure out WHICH extension is causing it to choke.
Then just don't load it.

Derrik Pates | Sysadmin, Douglas School| _ #linuxOS on EFnet
dpates@dsdk12.net | District (dsdk12.net) | | | and now OPN too!
   Student @ South Dakota School of Mines | __| |___ _ _ _ ___ _ _ ____
       & Technology (www.sdsmt.edu) |/ _ / -_) ' \ '\/ _ \ ' \ (____)
UNIX: Because you want to USE your computer.|\___,\___|_||_||_\___/_||_|