Re: booting second linux in mol

Subject: Re: booting second linux in mol
From: Samuel Rydh (samuel@ibrium.se)
Date: Tue Mar 13 2001 - 16:24:02 MST

On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 05:33:27PM -0300, Marcelo A. Ferreira Gomes wrote:
> At 17:33 -0300 08/03/01, Jeff Batis wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >The mol main page says that booting a second linux is possible using
> >mol. Has anyone been able to do this and if so how? I have two instances
>
> If anyone has some info about this (be it good or bad), please tell the
> list, instead of mailing in private. I guess many of us have the same
> interest. At least, I do have this interest.
>
> And, Jeff, please tell us if you have any responses not sent to the list
> thus far.

Well, at the moment it is not possible to boot linux. A couple
of years ago, it _was_ possible to boot linux using an oldworld
rom (block devices were accessed through 53c94 SCSI emulation).

Even though the 53c94 code is still present, it is essentially
not in use.

In order to run linux in MOL, some custom linux drivers
should be written (a block driver, a video driver and an
ethernet driver). Also, a bootloader should be implemented
(no need to first boot MacOS and then load linux
through BootX...).

It should not require that much work to implement these
things... If anybody feels up to it, I can probably
help some.

Cheers,

 E-mail <samuel@ibrium.se> WWW: <http://www.ibrium.se>
  Phone/fax: (home) +46 8 4418431, (work) +46 8 7908470