Re: X video problems

Subject: Re: X video problems
From: Derrik Pates (dpates@dsdk12.net)
Date: Mon Oct 08 2001 - 23:38:22 MDT

On 8 Oct 2001, John Goerzen wrote:

> I have a G4 tibook running Debian sid with X 4.1 in 16-bit mode. I'm
> trying to run MacOS 9.2 under it. Video works fine in the console.

Ok. You're doing better than me - with this iBook I'm using, trying to
start MoL with console video enabled totally wacks the framebuffer out.

> In X, however, the only color mode that works is 8 bit color in the
> MacOS side. On the X side, any other color mode results in weird
> colors -- usually everything is an odd green. I have tried every
> depth setting I can think of in molrc: 15, 16, 24, and 32, to no
> avail. I'm rather stuck on how to fix that. Only a depth of 8 works.

Because MacOS (or MoL, I'm still not 100% sure) has no concept of pixel
formats that have bitfields of different widths for different colors. You
can run X in 15bpp, and MoL will work fine in 15bpp (but if you're using
DRI, that won't work, it has to be 16bpp). You can run X in 24bpp, and run
MoL in 24bpp, and that will work. But with X in 16bpp, you won't be able
to get non-palletized graphics in X with MoL. That's just how it is. (So
far. If you can hack it to make it do the right thing, I encourage you to
do so.)

Derrik Pates | Sysadmin, Douglas School | #linuxOS on EFnet
dpates@dsdk12.net | District (dsdk12.net) | #linuxOS on OPN