Re: mol networking 0.60

Subject: Re: mol networking 0.60
From: Samuel Rydh (samuel@waltari.theophys.kth.se)
Date: Tue Sep 04 2001 - 06:17:32 MDT

>I cannot get mol networking using tun working with the latest mol and
>2.4 kernel, iptables etc, and using Samuel's instructions posted on the
>list a few days back
>
>add_netdev: Internal error
>Ethernet Interface (port 1) 'sheep-<eth0>' @ FE:FD:DE:AD:BE:EF

It appears MOL never understood the TUN driver was to be used.
Note that TUN is only available if the MOL user binary is
compiled using 2.4 kernel headers. It is possible I used 2.2
headers by mistake when I put together the mol rpm
for glibc-2.1.

Also check your /etc/molrc file, it should look like

        netdev: tun0 -tun
        netdev: eth0

>2: modules
>
>lsmod output after mol starts, both mol and sheep net appear but
>tun doesn't show up

No... at the moment you will have to load the tun module
manually (if you did not compile the tun support directly
into the kernel). (I'll add support for autoloading the tun
module later).

>when I try /usr/lib/mol/bin/tunconfig outside of mol I get
>
>SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
>tun0: unknown interface: No such device
>
>which is presumably why the Samuel makes the comment that it needs

Yes, MOL needs to register tun0 as a network interface before
it can be configured.

>I can ping the Mac OS side from linux, as I could under tap
>So effectively I think I've ended up doing both TCP and Appletalk over eth0.
>I haven't hooked up to a lan to test whether that means the rest of the lan
>isn't seen from mol or linux

Yes, MacOS only the sheep_net driver since the tun driver never
started properly.

Btw. networking has *not* changed in 0.9.60. Tap solutions
should still work. The TUN driver is the only one not
markes *obsolete* though...

/Samuel