mol networking 0.60

Subject: mol networking 0.60
From: Henry Harrison (henryh@clear.net.nz)
Date: Tue Sep 04 2001 - 04:34:34 MDT

Kia ora all

I cannot get mol networking using tun working with the latest mol and
2.4 kernel, iptables etc, and using Samuel's instructions posted on the
list a few days back

1: mol output relevant to networking (rest excised) is

Version 0.9.60

add_netdev: Internal error
Ethernet Interface (port 1) 'sheep-<eth0>' @ FE:FD:DE:AD:BE:EF

Mapping GC at 80800000
RTAS instantiated at 00004000
************ WARNING, phandle == 0 ***********
********* of_quiesce *********
<*> kOpenCommand

2: modules

lsmod output after mol starts, both mol and sheep net appear but
tun doesn't show up
If I manually do an insmod tun, it shows up in an lsmod list
but even when mol runs it is marked unused.

3: tun device

the tun device is present, with ls -l giving the following output

lr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 12 Sep 4 15:57 /dev/net/tun
-> misc/net/tun

I'm using devfs, that might make a difference?

4: tunconfig file

my tunconfig file is in /usr/lib/mol/bin and has the following attributes:

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 264 Sep 3 13:17 tunconfig

its contents is

#!/bin/bash
/sbin/ifconfig tun0 10.8.11.5
/sbin/iptables -D POSTROUTING -t nat -s 10.8.11.0/24 -d !
10.8.11.0/24 -j MASQUERADE >& /dev/null
/sbin/iptables -t nat -s 10.8.11.0/24 -d ! 10.8.11.0/24 -A
POSTROUTING -j MASQUERADE
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

when I try /usr/lib/mol/bin/tunconfig outside of mol I get

SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
tun0: unknown interface: No such device

which is presumably why the Samuel makes the comment that it needs
configuring once mol is running

5: interface configuration

eth0 interface is 10.8.11.4
under ifconfig I don't get an entry for tun, when mol is started

mol side Mac OS was 10.8.11.6 under tap, but I'm not getting far enough to set
it under tunMacOS side I can mount linux side partitions etc as fileserver
volumes just as I could under tap
I can ping the Mac OS side from linux, as I could under tap
So effectively I think I've ended up doing both TCP and Appletalk over eth0.
I haven't hooked up to a lan to test whether that means the rest of the lan
isn't seen from mol or linux

I'm feeling a bit stumped. I had no trouble using the tap device under both
2.2 and 2.4, and hope I am doing something obviously wrong. However, I have
yet to find it.

Any help appreciated

Cheers

Henry