Re: MacsBug

Subject: Re: MacsBug
From: Grigory Entin (eg@arcadia.spb.ru)
Date: Sat Sep 08 2001 - 19:29:02 MDT

Hi,

On Sat, Sep 08, 2001 at 05:02:20PM +0200, samuel@ibrium.se wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 09:07:41AM -0400, William K. Gibson wrote:
> > on 9/7/01 5:45 AM, Grigory Entin at Grigory.Entin@arcadia.spb.ru wrote:
> >
> > > Instead of falling into MacsBug I see the black screen. MOL session
> > > continues running.
> > > The only way for me after that is killing and starting MOL again.
> >
> > I believe you are seeing the Linux monitor here. Do you get a prompt? You
> > can exit the monitor with 'x', but I doubt that your MOL session will be
> > viable after that. You can also type a '?' in the monitor to see the
> > available commands (of which there are few).
> >
> > As far as I know, there is precious little you can do once MOL has crashed
> > like that. I could be wrong about this stuff though.
> >

> No, MOL hasn't crashed, but MacOS has.
>
> I believe MOL does not implement the debugging features

I agree here that MOL is still running, but still hope that Mac OS can be "continued" after the bad thing. ;)

> of the PowerPC processor correctly. Writing a few test programs to
> determine where MOL faults would be a good thing.

It strange, as I said already, I'm sure I ran MacsBug under older versions of MOL and MacOS.

I'm afraid the problem is somewhat related to MacsBug or its integration with MacOS - things work fine in any other debugger such as PowerMac Debugger or CodeWarrior IDE (and they produce MAC-TRACE in the log without a crash).

What I get in the log for the test program (simultaneously with the black screen) is

MAC-TRACE(!)
MAC-TRACE(!)

I don't know whether it'll help, but that black screen seems to be in "graphic mode", that is, I can't "type" anything visible there, and it seems to keep MOL video settings.

The test program is

#include <MacTypes.h>

void main ()
{
        DebugStr ("\pHello MacsBug!");
}

If you need something else, I'll be glad to do more.

Sincerely,
Grigory