Re: MOL, Appletalk, and laptops

Subject: Re: MOL, Appletalk, and laptops
From: Jens Schmalzing (jens.schmalzing@physik.uni-muenchen.de)
Date: Wed Sep 19 2001 - 02:14:32 MDT

Hi,

Wilhelm *Rafial* Fitzpatrick writes:

> Now for the question: I'm doing tun0 for TCP/IP networking, and eth0
> for AppleTalk, and I've got netatalk running on the linux side to
> share my linux files with MacOS. Only problem is, this only works
> when the laptop is actually plugged in to the network. If I unplug
> it, appletalk fails.

Check out the AppleTalk control panel in MacOS. It should offer a
selection of two different ethernet devices - one maps to tun0 on the
Linux side, the other to eth0. Selecting the one corresponding to
tun0 should allow you to use AppleTalk no matter what the state of the
external connection is.

If you use AppleTalk solely for accessing the Linux side of your
laptop from the MacOS side, you'll be fine if you just remove the eth0
device from /etc/molrc. Otherwise, you may want to shortcut the
switch using the location manager.

Regards, Jens.

--
J'qbpbe, le m'en fquz pe j'qbpbe!