Re: MOL, Appletalk, and laptops

Subject: Re: MOL, Appletalk, and laptops
From: Wilhelm *Rafial* Fitzpatrick (rafial@well.com)
Date: Thu Sep 20 2001 - 11:28:39 MDT

>In order to enable AppleTalk over DDP through the dummy0 device and
>nothing else, I replaced the stock atalkd.conf with a file containing
>the single line `dummy0', and afpd.conf is empty apart from a `-
>-notcp' line. I've never seen the message you report.

Jens:

Thanks for the tip. This appears to have done the trick, although
netatalk is still insistant that "dummy0: multicast may not work
properly" although in fact everything seems to work fine.

Note --- I did not need to add the -seed option as suggested by
Derrik. Nor do I need to actually configure dummy0 with an IP
address or anything, simply creating the interface (I'm using
"ifconfig dummy0 inet up") and letting netatalk bind to it seem
sufficient.

Eric: I want to live in a world where software doesn't suck //////////
Richard: Any software that isn't free sucks ////////// rafial@well.com
Linus: I'm interested in free beer ///// <http://www.3roses.com/> ////