Re: MOL, Appletalk, and laptops

Subject: Re: MOL, Appletalk, and laptops
From: Jens Schmalzing (jens.schmalzing@physik.uni-muenchen.de)
Date: Thu Sep 20 2001 - 02:17:23 MDT

Hi,

Wilhelm *Rafial* Fitzpatrick writes:

> I successfully configured a dummy0 device, but when starting netatalk,
> first it reported "dummy0: may have trouble with multicast" and then
> atalkd failed to bind to it, claiming it couldn't register the
> workstation name. So it seems there is some extra trick involved here
> to get Appletalk running on dummy0. Thoughts?

In order to enable AppleTalk over DDP through the dummy0 device and
nothing else, I replaced the stock atalkd.conf with a file containing
the single line `dummy0', and afpd.conf is empty apart from a `-
-notcp' line. I've never seen the message you report. In my syslog,
I find the following lines relating to atalkd startup:

| restart (1.5pre7)
| zip_getnetinfo for dummy0
| zip_getnetinfo for dummy0
| zip_getnetinfo for dummy0
| config for no router
| ready 0/0/0

All this comes within half a minute or somesuch, then there is another
half minute break, then afpd starts within a second, and then
everything works flawlessly.

Regards, Jens.

--
J'qbpbe, le m'en fquz pe j'qbpbe!