Clock slowdown (was: Can't run MOL on Titanium...)

Stefan Jeglinski mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 12:20:15 -0400

Just in case there's some misconception here... the problem I
originally brought up in this thread, and which was reported way back
when by others before I ever saw it, is not something I would
describe as simple 'clock drift'. I'm describing a much worse problem
in essence.

For me, the clock ticks off 1 second every 6 real seconds, yes, but
the issue is not the clock per se. The MacOS seems to be actually
running at 1/6 speed. IOW, this is not just a cosmetic issue, but a
real performance issue too. It happens with OS9, but not OS8.6.

Samuel pointed out that the problem may be tied to certain upgrade
cards, and that is indeed the case with my box. That it involves
something on a very low level, possibly with the DEC Timer register,
whose implementation and use AFAICT changed significantly from 8.x to
9.x, would come as no surprise to me.

Stefan Jeglinski