Really Weird MOL boot problem

Subject: Really Weird MOL boot problem
From: Nathanael Hasbrouck (thasbrouckclan@webryders.com)
Date: Wed Feb 06 2002 - 19:45:16 MST

Hi Everybody - I've already checked the archives for clues on this
one, so if it's already there could someone point me to it?

A couple days ago I downloaded and installed the mol-0.9.60-4 (glibc
2.1) and kmod packages from the website; it installed fine under KDE2
on a default LinuxPPC 2000 Q4 install (kernal 2.2.18-4hpmac - haven't
had time to upgrade) on a 7600/120 with 160MB ram. It started great
in ro from my mac drive (MacOS 8.6), so I edited my molrc file to
include rw for all my mac partitions: sdb (stock 1GB Quantum), sdc
(300MB Seagate), & sda4 (on an internal 9GB Compaq). Linux is on sda5
- sda8; /boot, /, /home, swap. That booted and ran fine until I
tried to turn on VM from MOL. MacOS (Finder) crashed (NOT mol), and
when I told Norton Crashguard to quit Finder the system froze. I
exited the console and tried to boot back in, but I get a "System
Error occurred" bomb dialog right when extensions should start

I've already done some troubleshooting, and if I boot from a mac CD
and select my mac drive for boot with the startup disk control panel
(instead of Linux /boot) it boots perfectly. Therefore, not a mac
problem unless there's something I don't know about. I also tried
disabling all extensions and control panels (everything I can disable
from the Extensions Manager), and booting mol, but it still doesn't
work unless I hold down the shift key. Could it be anything to do
with Linux device drivers or anything similar? I know there's next
to no emulation going on here, but it seems to be related to Linux or
mol.
If there are other things that don't load when shift is down, but
cannot be turned off from Extensions Manager, that might do it too.
Any preference type files the System loads? I already checked the
ROM file and System file and they aren't corrupted.

Also, if anyone could give me clues to getting mol to run other than
in root (some where else I need to set permissions?) and getting it
to launch from a panel button (that's not permission related, is
it?), that would be a plus.

Thanks
NRH

--

<__-__-__-__-__-__-__-__-__-__-__-__-__> Eschew obfuscation, in all communication be perspicuous, and have an exceedingly felicitous period of consciousness.