What do all these error messages mean?

Stefan Hakenberg mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Sat, 06 Jul 2002 23:56:00 -0800

Dear r. May,

Thanks for your help.  This is what happend:

Downloading went well and fast.  Also the next step, # ./autogen.sh went
without problems.  But then this happened:

[root@3-98-237-24-cable stefan]# cd /usr/src/Downloads
[root@3-98-237-24-cable Downloads]# ./configure
checking host system type... powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu
checking for working aclocal... found
checking for working autoconf... found
checking for working automake... found
checking for working autoheader... found
checking for working makeinfo... missing
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
cannot create executables.
[root@3-98-237-24-cable Downloads]# rpm -q gcc
gcc-2.95.4-4j

What should I do now?  Why would that compiler not work?

All the best,

Stefan

Message: 4