On the subject of freezes in MOL

Ove Edlund mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Tue, 7 May 2002 14:26:29 +0100

Hi!

I do also experience freezes in MOL. I will try to describe what is
happening. I feel sort of stupid because no one else seem to have these
troubles, and I have tried to get rid of them using all kinds of different
setups. It has been like this for a very long time now.

The freezes happen completely randomly, but they are more common if MOL has
to compete with other applications for memory. Running MOL in an X window
is a catastrophy. But running MOL in a console with nothing else going on
rarely triggers the freeze.

Typical scenarios of the freeze are:
  o When opening a folder the "growing square" and everything else stops whe=
    the "square" is about 2 x 2 centimeters. CURE: Kill the finder
(Cmd+alt+esc)
    and restart.
  o In some application, suddenly keyboard repeat and mouse button 1 do not
work
    any more. CURE: Press mouse button 2 or 3 on the desktop to switch to th=
    Finder and then go back to the application. Alas, everything is fine.

 Sometimes the freeze is not possible to cure though, so it is not harmless.

Is there anyone out there who shares this problem, and what can I do to fix
this? I think I have tried EVERYTHING, but that is probably just in my
imagination. (I have e.g. tried the things recently suggested on this list
without success, as well as different kinds of network setups, different
versions of Mac OS, different ROM's et.c.)

I have started to think that it may be hardware related. The machine is a
Power Macintosh 7600/132, so the processor is a PowerPC 604 and not a 604e.
Could that be the explaination that no one else experiences this?

Best wishes

Ove Edlund

Ove Edlund			Tel: 0920 - 491511
Institutionen f=F6r matematik		E-post: ove.edlund@sm.luth.se
Lule=E5 tekniska universitet		Tj=E4nsterum: A3448