Recompile Problems Steps 14-16

mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Fri, 4 Oct 2002 10:20:27 -0700

Almost out of the wilderness.  My total newbie status will be confirmed
with these questions:

I succesfully made it through step 13 in Jamie's process.

1) Where are the "new" System.map and vmlinux files referred to in step
14.  Within the filesystem I found a Makefile in usr/src/linux.... that
looked similar in appearance and content to the System.map file in
/boot.  I did not find anything in /usr/src/linux.... quite like the
vmlinux file that was in /boot.  Where are these new ones? (copying is
not a problem once i find them.)

2) Also how does one add a new yaboot.conf entry?  I booted off a Yellow
dog disk.

Same with run ybin to update the bootloader.  Any info about these three
steps will be greatly appreciated.

btw... at times I am tempted to think that linux is a hoax on newbies
that forces us to learn linux and unix, thereby creating a stronger and
more knowledgeable community (unlike windows - in which, if all one
knows how to do is insert a disk, then user loyalty is diminished.)  ;)
although, i have to admit, that i have had more fun at the command line
than i have had using any applications. at least so far.

thanks,

john