MOL Compiling

Arch & Cath mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Mon, 02 Sep 2002 20:29:09 -0400

on 9/2/02 2:09 PM, Francois Taiani at francois.taiani@laas.fr wrote:

> Hi Arch,
>
> I also had to fight a little with my headers: that's a laborious task...
> But a rewarding one, once it works! But to the point: it's extremely
> important (at least it was for me) that you compile mol with the kernel
> headers of the kernel your're going to use mol with. I think I dimmly
> remember that a part of the kernel headers is generated at compile time,
> and strongly depends on many things, so that the probability that some
> headers found on the web correspond to your kernel are very low. The
> only solution I found was to compile a brand new kernel (as weird as it
> sound, that's a quite common task. There's a very helpful howto on it,
> if you haven't done it already), install it, and use exactly the headers
> resulting from the compilation for it.
>
> I'm not sure your problem is directly connected to that, but maybe it
> can help.
>
> Cheers
>
> Francois
>
> Arch & Cath wrote:
>> Per ur suggestions, I moved everything into /usr/src and unpacked the tar
>> for mol-kmods.  After a few more missteps, got ./configure to work.  Then I
>> tried "make modules" and got:
>>
>> [root@bgp605554bgs src]# cd mol-kmods-0.9.64
>> [root@bgp605554bgs mol-kmods-0.9.64]# make modules
>> Making all in Linux
>> Kernel headers:          /usr/src/linux/include
>> Module compiled for:     2.4.19-pre9-ben0
>> Running kernel:          2.4.19-4a
>> In file included from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/module.h:21,
>> from molsymglue.c:22:
>> /usr/include/linux/modversions.h:1: #error Modules should never use
>> kernel-headers system
>> headers,
>> /usr/include/linux/modversions.h:2: #error but headers from an appropriate
>> kernel-source
>> make[3]: *** [molsymglue.o] Error 1
>> make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>> make[1]: *** [modules_] Error 2
>> make: *** [modules] Error 2
>> [root@bgp605554bgs mol-kmods-0.9.64]#
>>
>> I am really confused now.  My system has a kernel-headers installed but I
>> can't find the source (cd-rom, Yellow Dog sites) for it to put in /usr/src.
>> Where have my headers gone?
>>
>> Arch

Francois,

Took ur advice and compiled the 2.4.19 kernel.   Everything semed to go fine
- did make dep, make clean, make bzImage, make modules and make
modules_install.  So far everything looks fine.    Then tried to copy
bzImage to root.   "no such directory or name"  Searched all over and can't
find any bzImage files although I found a few zImage files.   Could it be
that make bzImage didn't work? there were no messages and the subsequent
make modules and make madules_install appeared to work.

Is a puzzlement.

Arch