Wow!

Charles R. Twardy mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 21:27:34 +1000 (EST)

OSX runs!
MOL can run it on an iBook.
MOL can run it on full console.
MOL can run it in a window.

MOL can run it here and there.
MOL can run it anywhere!

	-anonymous (please!)

And it runs quickly (in console)! It feels like using OSX. I am *very*
impressed, and quite relieved.  Thou hast saved me from REBOOT.
Thank you!

Notes (I'll write these up for a howto submission):
* Had some headaches in the compile-kernel / compile-MOL / crash cycle
  early on (as the mail list will record to my shame). I'll write
  up something so that if I had read it, I wouldn't have had those
  problems. Now I'm down to configuration tweaks.
* I set RAM to 256 (physical RAM is 640). That's running well for now.
* Had some trouble getting X to believe it could do the modes. Then
   noticed that my OSX Displays were set to "Thousands" of colors.
   Once I put that on "Millions" I could get MOL in X as well. I've
   currently enabled any console mode that gave a stable image, no
   matter how much other junk was on the LCD. I'll weed out the
   undesirables later. I expect to use only 800x600 and 1024x768.
* MOL on console, at less than full-LCD resolution (1024x768) gives
   a stable image, but not a clean one. The upper-left of the screen
   has the image, but parts of it are mirrored in other places, and there
   is often a bar of screen glitch across the bottom of the main window.
* I ran startmol --keyboardconfig and it did change a bunch of keycodes.
   I think that has helped. (Nice utility by the way!)

Still to work on
-----------------
* I can't start Virtual PC yet.  The app quits when running under MOL.
   ???
* Network connects and DHCPs, but I can't use it for anything.
* Can't get to the CD drive (but I think this is because in my latest
   kernel recompile I enabled ATAPI by mistake -- I can't get the CD
   in Linux either).
* Keyboard glitches:  every now and then it appears that the command key
   gets stuck, so that it appears that the keyboard doesn't work. But I
   noticed that it WAS sending Appled keys. So I hit the Apple and option
   and shift keys until the keyboard acted normally again. I don't know
   if there is a way around this?
* Mouse glitches: right mouse button not working on external mouse.
   Occasionally left mouse button acts like right, and middle acts like
   left (even on the iBook's own 1-button mouse).  Again, I don't know
   if different mouse settings would avoid this.
* I've already read that sound isn't enabled. OK.
* Airport?  (Haven't even tried -- don't even know yet if my latest kernel
   compile left everything working.)

Kudos!  If anyone has advice to offer on my notes or problems, let me
know.

Is there someone already compiling howto notes that I should send mine to
(once I write them up), or should I just write something and post a link
for official folks to look at?

-Charles