Fixed IDs for tun

Denis or Janet Jarvis mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Fri, 27 Sep 2002 21:49:06 -0700

I have YDL 2.3 on my Mac G4 and have run MOL for some time with Mac OS 9.2.
Recently I upgraded to MOL 0.9.65-1 and tried it with Mac OSX 10.2.
It boots fine but the ethernet connection cannot communicate with
other IDs, although MOL still works fully with 9.2. The "tun" module
seems to be the problem because if I change to "sheep" osx ethernet
works.

In investigating "tun", I find that it uses fixed IDs such as;
192.168.1.1    192.168.1.2 etc.

My G4 is wired in an Intranet to several other computers and an
Xsense MIH-130 firewall which also acts as a NAT router to a cable
modem. The firewall uses its default Intranet IDs and specifically:-
192.168.1.1    -the router or firewall
192.168.1.4    -G4 under Linux
192.168.1.5    -G4 under Mac OS 9.2 or Mac OSX

Q1.  Is the duplicate use of these IDs the reason "tun" does not work?
Q2.  If so, what should I change in MOL?
Q2.  Is "tun" significantly better than "sheep" for osx? I would prefer fixed
      IDs with "sheep" rather than having to use another NAT+DHCP for "tun".

Thanks for your help with an amazing product.
Denis Jarvis
--
*** Denis Jarvis, 1349 Magnolia Drive, Corvallis, OR 97330-3013, USA ***
*** Phone: 541-758-8060                     Email: dbjarvis@peak.org ***