Fixed IDs for tun

mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Sun, 29 Sep 2002 16:18:26 +0200

On Fri, Sep 27, 2002 at 09:49:06PM -0700, Denis or Janet Jarvis wrote:
> I have YDL 2.3 on my Mac G4 and have run MOL for some time with Mac OS 9.2.
> Recently I upgraded to MOL 0.9.65-1 and tried it with Mac OSX 10.2.
> It boots fine but the ethernet connection cannot communicate with
> other IDs, although MOL still works fully with 9.2. The "tun" module
> seems to be the problem because if I change to "sheep" osx ethernet
> works.
>
> In investigating "tun", I find that it uses fixed IDs such as;
> 192.168.1.1    192.168.1.2 etc.
>
> My G4 is wired in an Intranet to several other computers and an
> Xsense MIH-130 firewall which also acts as a NAT router to a cable
> modem. The firewall uses its default Intranet IDs and specifically:-
> 192.168.1.1    -the router or firewall
> 192.168.1.4    -G4 under Linux
> 192.168.1.5    -G4 under Mac OS 9.2 or Mac OSX
>
> Q1.  Is the duplicate use of these IDs the reason "tun" does not work?
Yes, MOL wants a private subnet.

> Q2.  If so, what should I change in MOL?

The network address is derived from the session number (can be changed
in /etc/mol/session.map). The formula is '192.168.1+session_nr.0'.

I guess the network address should be made configurable. It is on
the to-do list...

> Q2.  Is "tun" significantly better than "sheep" for osx? I would prefer fixed
>       IDs with "sheep" rather than having to use another NAT+DHCP for "tun".

I have had reports that the sheep driver not reliable in osx (but the tun driver
definitely does). (I am pretty sure I know what the problem is, but I haven't
had the time to fix it just yet).

In general, I recommend the tun driver. It is a lot less hackish
than sheep_net for one thing. Moreover, the auto-configuring ability
is quite nice.

/Samuel