HOWTO: MOL 0.9.65 and Yellow Dog 2.3 (HTML E-Mail) also a quick not on Networking with MOL and Mac OS X

Jamie Maynard mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Sun, 29 Sep 2002 15:47:10 +0200

--B_3116159233_2996960

Introduction

There has recently been a lot of Traffic on the Mailing List regarding MOL
(0.9.64 and 0.9.65) and Yellow Dog Linux 2.3.  This posting should answer
many of the questions which have been appearing as well as telling you all
how to get MOL working happily under Yellow Dog Linux 2.3.

I am going to stress this now and I shall do it again in the step-by-step
guide and recently I have stressed this in my recent postings.  The Kernel
Sources which comes with Yellow Dog 2.3 are BROKEN!  Almost anything
compiled against them seems to fail with unresolved symbols.  This is the
last posting where I am going to say this but it is am important point.

This is a draft of my new step by step guide for installing MOL.  It should
work for all RPM based distributions.  I stress it is draft and was written
from memory as I wasn=B9t in a position to restart my machine to write this
how to.  To the best of my knowledge all the commands listed in here are
correct.  Any problems or corrections e-mail me or the list.

A final word.  Despite rumours circling round the Mailing List Networking
with Mac OS X DOES in fact WORK.  Letter I shall write another short step b=
step guide to getting Networking with Mac OS X working.  The basics though
are simple.  MOL networking will work out of the Box with out the need to
change any of MOLs default networking settings.  All the configuration need=
to be done on the Mac OS X side.  You also need to have installed the DHCPd
which Samuel has said in past postings.  But like I say, I will write a
short how to on this later.  Hope this Step-By-Step guide is useful.

Jamie

Step-By-Step Guide

OK here goes a step-by-step guide to get MOL 0.9.65 working under Yellow Do=
Linux 2.3.  You will need to have an internet connection for some of the
steps in this guide.  You are going to be asked to download the following
files:

A recent kernel source from either ppckernel.org or kernel.org.
The User Binary of Mol (mol-0.9.65-1.ppc.rpm)
The MOL K-Mods source RPM (mol-kmods-0.9.65-1.src.rpm)

Step 1 =AD Get a new kernel and kernel sources
The first step is to download a new set of kernel sources.  This step is
critical because The Kernel Sources which comes with Yellow Dog 2.3 are
BROKEN!  You will need to compile a new kernel (with kernel modules) instal=
it and make it your default boot kernel.  This step is going to take
anywhere from 1 hour to 4 hours depending on the speed of your machine and
your internet connection.  I am not going to document how to do this step.
Information is out there on the internet.

Step 2 =AD Get MOL files from the internet.
The next step is to get the need files to install the latest version of MOL=
.
The files you need are mol-0.9.65-1.ppc.rpm and mol-kmods-0.9.65-1.src.rpm.
The first file is the MOL User Binary, it contains the pre-compiled version
of MOL without MOL=B9s kernel modules.  The next file is the Source RPM of th=
MOL Kernel Modules.  DO NOT download the pre-compiled version of the MOL
kernel modules you=B9ll  save yourself and awful lot of time and headaches by
taking this route.  To make things easy here are links to the files you
need:

MOL User Binary -=20
<ftp://ftp.nada.kth.se/pub/home/f95-sry/Public/mac-on-linux/mol-0.9.65-1.pp=
.rpm>
MOL Kmods Source -=20
<ftp://ftp.nada.kth.se/pub/home/f95-sry/Public/mac-on-linux/mol-kmods-0.9.6=
5
-1.src.rpm>

Step 3 =AD Remove previous versions of MOL
Yellow Dog Linux by default installs a copy of MOL we want to remove this
version as it is probably out of date.  If you have installed MOL and are
having troubles with it follow this step.  To remove MOL type the following
in a terminal window as root.

# rpm =ADqa |grep mol

This above command should return two files next we want to use RPM to remov=
these files:

# rpm =ADe mol-<version-number>
# rpm =ADe mol-kmods-<version-number>

The Key to getting the above right is just to type it as RPM as done it.
You need to remove the mol-kmods last or RPM will choke.

Step 4 =AD Rebuild the Kernel Modules files
With the old version of MOL gone its time to start getting things ready so
we can install the new.  First we need to rebuild the mol-kmods file as thi=
does not yet contain the Binary Kernel modules we need.  In the terminal
window find the downloaded MOL rpm files from step 2.  Once you are in the
same directory type the following on the command line (You will need to be
root to do this).

# rpm =8Brebuild ./mol-kmods-0.9.65-1.src.rpm

The above command will go off and rebuild the mol-kmod against the currentl=
running kernel which should be the one you installed and got running in Ste=
1.  Once it has finished rebuilding the RPM file it will be located in
/usr/src/rpm/RPMS/ppc/ and it should be called mol-kmods-0.9.65-1.ppc.rpm.
Copy that file to the same directory where you have your other MOL RPM.

Step 5 =AD Installing MOL 0.9.65
OK we now have our two Binary RPM files in the same place all that we need
to now is install them.  As root on the command line type the following (in
this order, order is important)

# rpm =ADivh mol-kmods-0.9.65-1.ppc.rpm
# rpm =ADivh mol-0.9.65-1.ppc.rpm

All going well that will install the two MOL ppc.rpm files.  MOL should now
be installed.

Step 6 =AD Testing your MOL Installation
OK we=B9ve come this far its time to test our MOL installation you do this by
doing the following:

# startmol =8Bloadonly  or =A0# startmol =8Btest

All this basicly does is test that MOL can load the kernel modules which is
a good sign that MOL will work with out any problems.  Any problems and
check that you followed the instructions above properly.  If you get a
command not found you may find you need to add the path to startmol to your
bashrc file.  You can start it by using the full path to start mol (e.g.
/usr/bin/startmol).

Step 7 =AD Setting up Keyboard Mappings and Video Configurations
This is now a simple step thanks to work done by samuel.  First off
configure you Video Settings by typing the following on the command line.
This is a good test to make sure MOL is in fact installed.

# startmol --molvconfig

Follow the on screen instructions till you find a video resolution which
works for your machine.  Once you have done that you will then need to
configure MOL=B9s keyboard mapping.  Normally things like the command/apple
key, option/alt key and ctrl keys are a bit screwy unless you use MOL to
configure them properly.  This will go a long way to making your time with
MOL more pleasurable.  On the command line type the following command to
configure your keyboard.

# startmol --keyconfig

Again follow the on screen instructions and MOL will configure your keyboar=
layout.

Step 8 =AD Running and Configuring MOL
The Basics.  Running MOL.  To run MOL you need to just type on of the
following on the command line:

For Mac OS 8/9: # startmol
For Mac OS X: # startmol --osx

OK may be that was a little ahead of ourselfs.  MOL does need a little bit
of configuring.  One day it is my hope we can set MOL up on the fly using a
QT/GTK Interface to make things really user friendly, but right now we have
to use a text editor like vi.  The basic things to set up are your boot
device in molrc.macos and molrc.osx.  This has been well document in other
postings on the list.  The configuration files in /etc/mol/ are easy to rea=
so you should be able to set them up with no problems.

Final Words
All going well if you have followed these instructions you should have a
working installation of MOL.  There are few things which have been
documented recently.  MOL will sometimes fail to start up classic Mac OS (8
and 9) because it can not load the Mac OS ROM file.  The answer is to copy
the Mac OS ROM file from the Mac to Linux using the HFS-Plus Utilities and
then tell the MOL where it is by editing the molrc.macos file.  At the
bottom of that file you should see a line about a new world rom.  Just edit
that line to point to where you downloaded the Mac OS ROM file.

Despite what has been said recently on the MOL Mailing List Netowrking with
Mac OS X DOES work.  See my next posting on how to set up Networking with
Mac OS X.

--B_3116159233_2996960

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>HOWTO: MOL 0.9.65 and Yellow Dog 2.3 (HTML E-Mail) also a quick not =
on Networking with MOL and Mac OS X</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Arial"><H2>Introduction<BR>
</H2><BR>
There has recently been a lot of Traffic on the Mailing List regarding MOL =
(0.9.64 and 0.9.65) and Yellow Dog Linux 2.3. &nbsp;This posting should answ=
er many of the questions which have been appearing as well as telling you al=
l how to get MOL working happily under Yellow Dog Linux 2.3.<BR>
<BR>
I am going to stress this now and I shall do it again in the step-by-step g=
uide and recently I have stressed this in my recent postings. &nbsp;<FONT CO=
LOR=3D"#FF0000"><B>The Kernel Sources which comes with Yellow Dog 2.3 are BROK=
EN!</B> &nbsp;</FONT>Almost anything compiled against them seems to fail wit=
h unresolved symbols. &nbsp;This is the last posting where I am going to say=
 this but it is am important point.<BR>
<BR>
This is a draft of my new step by step guide for installing MOL. &nbsp;It s=
hould work for all RPM based distributions. &nbsp;I stress it is draft and w=
as written from memory as I wasn&#8217;t in a position to restart my machine=
 to write this how to. &nbsp;To the best of my knowledge all the commands li=
sted in here are correct. &nbsp;Any problems or corrections e-mail me or the=
 list.<BR>
<BR>
A final word. &nbsp;Despite rumours circling round the Mailing List <B>Netw=
orking with Mac OS X DOES in fact WORK.</B> &nbsp;Letter I shall write anoth=
er short step by step guide to getting Networking with Mac OS X working. &nb=
sp;The basics though are simple. &nbsp;MOL networking will work out of the B=
ox with out the need to change any of MOLs default networking settings. &nbs=
p;All the configuration needs to be done on the Mac OS X side. &nbsp;You als=
o need to have installed the DHCPd which Samuel has said in past postings. &=
nbsp;But like I say, I will write a short how to on this later. &nbsp;Hope t=
his Step-By-Step guide is useful. <BR>
<BR>
Jamie<BR>
<BR>
<HR ALIGN=3DCENTER SIZE=3D"3" WIDTH=3D"95%"><BR>
<H2>Step-By-Step Guide<BR>
</H2><B><BR>
</B>OK here goes a step-by-step guide to get MOL 0.9.65 working under Yello=
w Dog Linux 2.3. &nbsp;You will need to have an internet connection for some=
 of the steps in this guide. &nbsp;You are going to be asked to download the=
 following files:<BR>
<BR>
A recent kernel source from either ppckernel.org or kernel.org.<BR>
The User Binary of Mol (mol-0.9.65-1.ppc.rpm)<BR>
The MOL K-Mods source RPM (mol-kmods-0.9.65-1.src.rpm)<BR>
<BR>
<B>Step 1 &#8211; Get a new kernel and kernel sources<BR>
</B>The first step is to download a new set of kernel sources. &nbsp;This s=
tep is critical because <FONT COLOR=3D"#FF0000"><B>The Kernel Sources which co=
mes with Yellow Dog 2.3 are BROKEN!</B></FONT> &nbsp;You will need to compil=
e a new kernel (with kernel modules) install it and make it your default boo=
t kernel. &nbsp;This step is going to take anywhere from 1 hour to 4 hours d=
epending on the speed of your machine and your internet connection. &nbsp;I =
am not going to document how to do this step. &nbsp;Information is out there=
 on the internet.<BR>
<BR>
<B>Step 2 &#8211; Get MOL files from the internet.<BR>
</B>The next step is to get the need files to install the latest version of=
 MOL. &nbsp;The files you need are mol-0.9.65-1.ppc.rpm and mol-kmods-0.9.65=
-1.src.rpm. &nbsp;The first file is the MOL User Binary, it contains the pre=
-compiled version of MOL without MOL&#8217;s kernel modules. &nbsp;The next =
file is the Source RPM of the MOL Kernel Modules. &nbsp;DO NOT download the =
pre-compiled version of the MOL kernel modules you&#8217;ll &nbsp;save yours=
elf and awful lot of time and headaches by taking this route. &nbsp;To make =
things easy here are links to the files you need:<BR>
<BR>
MOL User Binary - &lt;ftp://ftp.nada.kth.se/pub/home/f95-sry/Public/mac-on-=
linux/mol-0.9.65-1.ppc.rpm&gt;<BR>
MOL Kmods Source - &lt;ftp://ftp.nada.kth.se/pub/home/f95-sry/Public/mac-on=
-linux/mol-kmods-0.9.65-1.src.rpm&gt;<BR>
<BR>
<B>Step 3 &#8211; Remove previous versions of MOL<BR>
</B>Yellow Dog Linux by default installs a copy of MOL we want to remove th=
is version as it is probably out of date. &nbsp;If you have installed MOL an=
d are having troubles with it follow this step. &nbsp;To remove MOL type the=
 following in a terminal window as root.<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Monaco"><TT># rpm &#8211;qa |grep mol<BR>
<FONT SIZE=3D"5"><BR>
</FONT></TT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana">This above command should return tw=
o files next we want to use RPM to remove these files:<BR>
</FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"5"><FONT FACE=3D"Monaco"><TT><BR>
</TT></FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Monaco"><TT># rpm &#8211;e mol-&lt;version-n=
umber&gt;<BR>
# rpm &#8211;e mol-kmods-&lt;version-number&gt;<BR>
</TT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><BR>
The Key to getting the above right is just to type it as RPM as done it. &n=
bsp;You need to remove the mol-kmods last or RPM will choke.<BR>
<BR>
<B>Step 4 &#8211; Rebuild the Kernel Modules files<BR>
</B>With the old version of MOL gone its time to start getting things ready=
 so we can install the new. &nbsp;First we need to rebuild the mol-kmods fil=
e as this does not yet contain the Binary Kernel modules we need. &nbsp;In t=
he terminal window find the downloaded MOL rpm files from step 2. &nbsp;Once=
 you are in the same directory type the following on the command line (You w=
ill need to be root to do this).<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Monaco"><TT># rpm &#8212;rebuild ./mol-kmods-0.9.65-1.sr=
c.rpm<BR>
</TT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><BR>
The above command will go off and rebuild the mol-kmod against the currentl=
y running kernel which should be the one you installed and got running in St=
ep 1. &nbsp;Once it has finished rebuilding the RPM file it will be located =
in /usr/src/rpm/RPMS/ppc/ and it should be called mol-kmods-0.9.65-1.ppc.rpm=
. &nbsp;Copy that file to the same directory where you have your other MOL R=
PM.<BR>
<BR>
<B>Step 5 &#8211; Installing MOL 0.9.65<BR>
</B>OK we now have our two Binary RPM files in the same place all that we n=
eed to now is install them. &nbsp;As root on the command line type the follo=
wing (in this order, order is important)<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Monaco"><TT># rpm &#8211;ivh mol-kmods-0.9.65-1.ppc.rpm<=

# rpm &#8211;ivh mol-0.9.65-1.ppc.rpm<BR>
</TT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><BR>
All going well that will install the two MOL ppc.rpm files. &nbsp;MOL shoul=
d now be installed.<BR>
<BR>
<B>Step 6 &#8211; Testing your MOL Installation<BR>
</B>OK we&#8217;ve come this far its time to test our MOL installation you =
do this by doing the following:<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Monaco"><TT># startmol &#8212;loadonly</TT></FONT><FONT =
FACE=3D"Verdana"> &nbsp;or </FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Monaco"><TT>=A0# startmol &#8212;t=
est<BR>
</TT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><BR>
All this basicly does is test that MOL can load the kernel modules which is=
 a good sign that MOL will work with out any problems. &nbsp;Any problems an=
d check that you followed the instructions above properly. &nbsp;If you get =
a command not found you may find you need to add the path to startmol to you=
r bashrc file. &nbsp;You can start it by using the full path to start mol (e=
.g. /usr/bin/startmol).<BR>
<BR>
<B>Step 7 &#8211; Setting up Keyboard Mappings and Video Configurations<BR>
</B>This is now a simple step thanks to work done by samuel. &nbsp;First of=
f configure you Video Settings by typing the following on the command line. =
&nbsp;This is a good test to make sure MOL is in fact installed.<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Monaco"><TT># startmol --molvconfig<BR>
</TT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><BR>
Follow the on screen instructions till you find a video resolution which wo=
rks for your machine. &nbsp;Once you have done that you will then need to co=
nfigure MOL&#8217;s keyboard mapping. &nbsp;Normally things like the command=
/apple key, option/alt key and ctrl keys are a bit screwy unless you use MOL=
 to configure them properly. &nbsp;This will go a long way to making your ti=
me with MOL more pleasurable. &nbsp;On the command line type the following c=
ommand to configure your keyboard.<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Monaco"><TT># startmol --keyconfig<BR>
</TT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><BR>
Again follow the on screen instructions and MOL will configure your keyboar=
d layout.<BR>
<BR>
<B>Step 8 &#8211; Running and Configuring MOL<BR>
</B>The Basics. &nbsp;Running MOL. &nbsp;To run MOL you need to just type o=
n of the following on the command line:<BR>
<BR>
For Mac OS 8/9: </FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Monaco"><TT># startmol<BR>
</TT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana">For Mac OS X: </FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Monaco"><=
TT># startmol --osx<BR>
</TT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><BR>
OK may be that was a little ahead of ourselfs. &nbsp;MOL does need a little=
 bit of configuring. &nbsp;One day it is my hope we can set MOL up on the fl=
y using a QT/GTK Interface to make things really user friendly, but right no=
w we have to use a text editor like vi. &nbsp;The basic things to set up are=
 your boot device in molrc.macos and molrc.osx. &nbsp;This has been well doc=
ument in other postings on the list. &nbsp;The configuration files in /etc/m=
ol/ are easy to read so you should be able to set them up with no problems.<=

<BR>
<B>Final Words<BR>
</B>All going well if you have followed these instructions you should have =
a working installation of MOL. &nbsp;There are few things which have been do=
cumented recently. &nbsp;MOL will sometimes fail to start up classic Mac OS =
(8 and 9) because it can not load the Mac OS ROM file. &nbsp;The answer is t=
o copy the Mac OS ROM file from the Mac to Linux using the HFS-Plus Utilitie=
s and then tell the MOL where it is by editing the molrc.macos file. &nbsp;A=
t the bottom of that file you should see a line about a new world rom. &nbsp=
;Just edit that line to point to where you downloaded the Mac OS ROM file.<B=

<BR>
Despite what has been said recently on the MOL Mailing List Netowrking with=
 Mac OS X <B>DOES</B> work. &nbsp;See my next posting on how to set up Netwo=
rking with Mac OS X.</FONT>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--B_3116159233_2996960--