Old World booting on New World Mac

Samuel Rydh mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Wed, 5 Mar 2003 16:18:30 +0100

On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 12:23:53AM -0800, Dara Hazeghi wrote:
> per Ben's suggestion, here's a bit more info. about
> the hang I see booting OS 7.6 and 8.0 (but not 8.1) on
> MOL.
>
> Right during the first bootup screen (ie the one which
> sometimes says "extensions disabled" I hit an infinite
> loop...

I believe this is the no-AWACS problem (AWACS is the
built-in sound controller). Very old Mac OS versions
assume the chip is present without verifying that
this is indeed so (pre 8.1 did this I think, although
I'm a bit uncertain about the exact version).

The result is that MOL hangs if a sound is played
using the built-in driver. Usually, it is the
'The computer was not shut down properly' dialog that
beeps. A workaround is muting sound (or selecting
the MolAudio device in MacOS). It is also a good idea
to disable the improper shutdown warning.

In any case, if you check the startup disks with
Apple's disk utility before booting, then things ought
to work.

/Samuel