PPC Emulator, is this real?!?!

Fredrik Andersson mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 16:30:52 +0200

Yes this is an issue, however the problem can be minimized using=20
various techniques (I'm no pro at the x86 myself) forexample trying to=20=

keep the register "holders" inside the CPU cache, the x86 can operate=20
on memory directly (unlike the PPC who needs to operate on the data in=20=

a register). However this problem is still minor compared to the MMU=20
problem.
If there was a simple solution to this the market would be flooded with=20=

PPC emulators that was "chrp" compatible, but there's an obvious lack=20
of things like that.

/Fredrik

.
tisdagen den 14 oktober 2003 kl 13.19 skrev Randy Hall:

> My understanding with cpu emulation of any kind is that to get decent
> performance you need to map all the registers of the emulated CPU into=20=

> the
> host CPU.  The PPC has more registers than the x86 can handle.  This=20=

> is why
> the PPC can emulate a x86 but not the other way around.

>>> on
>>> the