Sound

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 13:20:27 MST 2005

On 12/6/05, calum.lists at iol.ie <calum.lists at iol.ie> wrote:
> But MOL doesn't seem to like the syntax of the default molrc.sound file:
>
> playstation:~> startmol -X
> Fatal error: Parse error in /etc/mol/molrc.sound:26
>
> where line 26 is:
> alsa.mixer              "PCM" 0
>
> If I comment this line out, MOL starts up fine, but with no sound (and no
> warnings on the console to suggest why).

On my Ubuntu setup, the default molrc.sound file was mostly commented
out with "examples" of things you might put in, but I didn't need to
change anything. What happens when all the options are commented out?
On my PowerBook G3 Series, the sound "just works," and the only three
uncommented lines are:

sound.driver:           any             # alsa, oss, nosound or any
startboing.enabled:     yes
sound.bufsize:          4096            # not used for MacOS X

(Oh, and I'm running Mac OS 9.x under MOL.) Also you didn't mention
what hardware you're running on... not that *I* can help much because
I don't really know sound stuff very well, but the first thing I would
do would be to google your specific computer model and various
formulations of "ubuntu" "sound" and "ALSA" and maybe you can find
some tips.  Good luck...