asking for mic/line-in support

Joshua Wehner josh.wehner at ultratec.com
Thu Mar 17 14:16:27 MST 2005

On Mar 17, 2005, at 11:31 AM, Philip wrote:

> rumor has it that Joshua wrote:
>
>> I think the list is dead or dying. I asked a question a few days ago
>> and received a similar non-response. In fact, other than my own, yours
>> is the first list message I've received in a week.
>
> This list is no your personal help desk. No one is obligated to respond
> to anything.

I'm sorry, you're right. I was completely ignoring the... ? Has there
been any other traffic? Because there hasn't been on my end.

> For both of you, try giving some real information! "Doesn't work",
> "Crashes hard" are vague and nearly useless terms.

Okay. By "crashes hard", I meant: The Mac environment within the MOL
window stops responding. The mouse moves, actually, but nothing
responds to mouse-clicks, arrows, etc. If I leave it alone for an hour,
nothing changes.

>   * what have _you_ tried? "Lists help those who help themselves."

I couldn't think of a lot *to* try. 'Classic' Mac OS networking is
theoretically supposed to "just work". I Google'd, but I couldn't find
a Mac OS way to ping, dhcp release, etc. I investigated switching back
to the Sheep net driver, but that seemed a dead end. (I don't have a
sheep module, couldn't find information to generate one, and the
available documentation seemed to steer me away from it in general).

>   * What is the console output?

There is none. Which is to say, there's the usual post-startup
material, then nothing until I close the MOL window, then it relays the
X messages ("window closed").

>   * What does the relevent log report?

Is there a relevant log?

>   * What version of MOL?

I believe it's 0.9.70-r1. (installed via 'emerge mol')

>   * What kernel?

2.6.10

-- joshua