MOL Networking Follow-Up

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 10:40:51 MST 2005

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 06:04:58 -0500, Henry A. Leinhos <henry at leinhos.com> wrote:
> I had to make some symbolic links because the install put everything in
> /usr/local, despite the configure stage, but it actually booted(!).  It
> mostly works, but there is a 5-10 second delay everytime I try to open a
> window or get a sub-menu from a pulldown menu (better than before)

I waited a couple of days to see if anyone else would jump in. The
compile and running is encouraging.... However, I see no delay on my
system -- as long as the load under linux is reasonable, when mol is
running full screen it feels almost as fast as a native OS 9 session.

> Does the -17 diff include all previous patches, or do I have to apply
> all of the other diffs as well?
> Also, are some or all of these patches making their way into the 0.9.71
> main mol tree?  It seems that the base MOL source is broken for MacOS 9
> and 2.6 kernels.

I just installed the mol-modules-source package so I could look at the
changelog -- it looks to me as if the last time that particular
package referenced the upstream source was in April 2004, and the last
patch that went back to the upstream source was in November 2004. Of
course there could have been many other changes that aren't (yet)
reflected in the other Debian packages because the maintainer hasn't
brought them downstream yet.

PLUS it turns out my system isn't working with the build-from-source
options in Debian. (It may be very easy... but my brain is slow
today!)

It's likely the Debian maintainer (Jens Schmalzing) either stays in
touch with the MOL developer(s) or is just very familiar with the
code. You could ask him your questions but he must be busy (and not
subscribed to this list, I guess). There IS a Mac-On-Linux Developer's
list on the same server, but amazingly it gets even less traffic than
this one.

BTW I did just upgrade my kernel and mol to the latest in Debian
Testing, so now I'm running these Debian (pre-compiled) packages with
no problems:
mol v0.9.70-17
mol-drivers-linux v0.9.70+1-1
mol-drivers-macos v0.9.70-1
mol-modules-2.6.8-powerpc v1:0.9.70+2.6.8+12
kernel-image-2.6.8-powerpc v2.6.8-12