Airport Extreme card does not work with PCI proxying

Mattias Nissler mattias.nissler at gmx.de
Sat Oct 21 17:26:32 MDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-10-21 at 22:30 +0000, Jörg Sommer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I set the following options in /etc/mol/molrc.osx
>
> # enable the pciproxy module
> enable_pciproxy:	yes
>
> # Airport Extreme (Broadcom 4320) Card (Second is with optional ofdump)
> pci_proxy_device:	0001:10:12.0
>
> When starting OS X 10.3 I get the message “PCIPROXY: warning: PCI bus
> mastering not working with MOL” from MOL. Should I care about it?

This is the warning printed by the pciproxy code when the driver tries
to enable the DMA bit in the device's PCI config space. DMA is *not*
supported, because we can't keep the device from writing arbitrary
memory in the host system. Drivers must use PIO to access the device
(and more important: read back data).

> OS X detects the card, but it detects no network. I've removed the
> bcm43xx module. Any ideas why it does not work?

Have you applied the patch to the to the AppleAirportExterme kernel
extension that forces it to PIO? For more information, check this thread
on the gentoo forum:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-365647-start-0-postdays-0-postorder-asc-highlight-pciproxy.html

Cheers,

Mattias