Convince me that Yellowdog is the Linux for me!

aaron yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Apr 9 13:02:01 2002

Correction:
>>YDLinux 2.1 does feel more responsive on my Mac at home than OS X does.
should be:
>>YDLinux 2.1 does NOT feel more responsive on my Mac at home than OS X does.

> Thats wierd - mine does everything instantaneously and I mean instantly -
> how much ram do you have ?

 768 MB

>Hmm...I have just installed YDL 2.2 on the machine mentioned below, and
>it provides a MUCH faster gui than OS X ever did.  I am currently using
>KDE 2.2.2, but plan to investigate either Gnome or KDE 3.0 in the near
>future to decide which wm I like best...

I use YD 2.1 with KDE.  The "finder" app (Konqueror) IS slower than the OS X
Finder.  We have to compare apples to apples.  Of course using the CLI to
traverse the file system (which I do because Konqueror is so slow) in Linux
is faster than the OS X Finder, but that's not much of a comparison.  I have
found that the "Finder" in Gnome is very fast, though, probably faster than
OS X's.

>It's strange that your 1.7 Gig pentium is more sluggish with KDE than
>your OS X box....I believe that most people would describe very opposite
>experiences.

I use both systems every day, as I said above similar apps seem faster on OS
X (File Manager to File Manager, for example).  Star Office takes longer to
start than MSOffice v. X, and Mozilla is a lot more sluggish on my Linux
machine than in OS X.

Maybe we are talking about a different kind of responsiveness, e.g. I do
think that menus are brisker in Linux than in OS X, but I don't usually
notice it much because the difference in time doesn't have me waiting.

-Aaron