Convince me that Yellowdog is the Linux for me!

Robert Brandtjen yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Apr 9 22:05:01 2002

On Tuesday 09 April 2002 02:00 pm, aaron wrote:
> I use YD 2.1 with KDE.  The "finder" app (Konqueror) IS slower than the OS
> X Finder.  We have to compare apples to apples.  Of course using the CLI to
> traverse the file system (which I do because Konqueror is so slow) in Linux
> is faster than the OS X Finder, but that's not much of a comparison.  I
> have found that the "Finder" in Gnome is very fast, though, probably faster
> than OS X's.

As I said - bizzare, random speed comparisons by ezines agree with me, not you
- I have yet to see a non mac addict apparasal of OSX say it's fast - just
the opposite, slow as molassis - my own experience agrees with that.

KDE, for me is extremely fast, faster then win2k, faster then OS9, waaaay
faster then OSX. I have not used Xp so i cannot compare anything to it.

I would say there must be something wrong with your set-up - no actual
hardware rendering is going on, must be the case. The slowest app I have
(non-game) is mozilla, it takes 3 seconds to load from either clicking the
icon or cli and produce slashdot.org.

My experience with YDL on the first install with a Voodoo5 card installed ( no
hardware rendering) was similar to yours, after properly setting the card up,
it ran fast as hell, of course no 3d acceleratio, but 2d probably far faster
then Apple's original Geforce card (64 megs versus 32?)

I would bet you have no hardware rendering taking place.
--
 Robert Brandtjen