YDL 2.2 install on Pb3400c failure during partitioning

Jeff Brendle yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Apr 10 11:21:01 2002

Thanks for the reply. The problem I was having was after exiting from
the partitioning screen in the text-mode installer after creating the
3 slices in the unallocated first partition of the hdd (by clicking
"save"). That's where the program starts to do the filesystem
formatting/mounting, gets I think to the 2nd or 3rd partition (the
ext2 one for linux, I see that it does the swap one, that takes a
couple of seconds, the 10M bootloader one might be quick enough that
I don't see it, that's why I am not sure if it is busy with the third
or maybe something is really crashing when it tries to do something
with the swap partition it just finished if that's the 1st one it is
working on?), then I assume whatever program they are using (format?
newfs??) sees something it doesn't like, and exits nastily: "install
exited abnormally" and then I assume the install wrapper script does
the term/kill signalling to bring the system down and force a reboot.
Don't know WHY, but it does this reproducibly each time, same place.
FWIW, my map looks like this: hda9 - hfs for the bootloader, hda10
hfs for macos, hda11 for the swap, and hda12 for linux. That this is
different from the example in the manual doesn't seem to me to be
sufficient reason for the crash. But then, I don't have any better
idea of what its problem IS.
-j
--

Jeff Brendle                Office: 248A Deike Bldg./(814)865-3257/fax 863-7708
Desktop Support Spv.       Home:   #210 Parkgate 349 Toftrees Ave.