network at bootup / kernel params

Nathan Buck yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Apr 10 14:39:01 2002

When changing your default system run level, use the /etc/inittab file to
set it, as previously mentioned look for the line that reads like this:

id:3:initdefault:

Someone suggested using the init=# kernel param string in yaboot or
others.  This would not be suggested as it may be passed to the kernel
verbatum as "init=3" (suggesting a number).  This would tell the kernel
that instead of running the standard default initialization
program/scripting, to run the file "3" (probably in root, so "/3") .. a
standard way to recovery from a serious issue with bootup on your linux
box would be to pass the following parameters to your kernel:

<kernel> init=/bin/sh rw root=/dev/<root hd>

This will also bypass needing a root password, etc, so if you fubar your
root login, etc, you can get in.

Back on the topic of troubleshooting network startup and init scripts in
general, if you continue to have problems consider taking a look at the
scripts themselves.  I'm not entirely clear where rh put their network
startup section in the scripts as as I dropped the SysV init script style
for a customized system a while ago.

take a look at your /etc/inittab file and you should be able to tell
though.

Nathan