newbie needing big help

Stefan Jeglinski yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Apr 14 08:41:01 2002

>I am a fresh linux newbie, having installed my first linux system about
>a week ago...YDL 2.2.

Just an initial comment. If you're a newbie, I say press forward and
see what happens. The best thing that can happen to you right now is
for you to hose your system. You'll learn a lot about it in the
process. And the reinstalls become easier and easier :-) If for some
reason you can't -afford- to hose it -and- you are a rank newbie, you
may be in over your head at this point.

>Anyway, my problems are many right now, but I am going to focus on one
>at the time...KDE 3.0.

I would agree with Ryan, cutting your teeth on this one may be a bit
much to chew. But what the hell.

>[root@linni RPMS]# rpm -e `rpm -qa |egrep ^kde` koffice SDL-devel
>error: removing these packages would break dependencies:
>	libDCOP.so.1   is needed by kio-mac-1.0-1a
>	libkdecore.so.3   is needed by kio-mac-1.0-1a
>	libkdesu.so.1   is needed by kio-mac-1.0-1a
>	libkdeui.so.3   is needed by kio-mac-1.0-1a
>	libkio.so.3   is needed by kio-mac-1.0-1a
>	libkssl.so.2   is needed by kio-mac-1.0-1a
>	kdemultimedia   is needed by autorun-2.61-5
>	kdebase   is needed by autorun-2.61-5
>[root@linni RPMS]#

As these things go, this is pretty good. There are really only 2
dependencies here. Here is how I would proceed (I used to hose
-something- doing these things, and every time, I figured out a lot).

What you're trying to do here is remove KDE2 first, and it's
believable that there are a couple of other things that will need to
go too. So first, what are kio and autorun? (we're looking to see
what might happen if we remove them). I don't have kio installed, so
I don't know what it is; do 'rpm -qi kio-mac-1.0-1a' to find out.
Likewise with autorun shows it is safe to remove it first (IMHO). So

'rpm -e kio-mac-1.0-1a' first will remove the first 6 deps.
'rpm -e autorun-2.61-5' first will remove the last 2.

And your original rpm -e instruction should then work.

>Should i force it with the "nodeps" option,

Bolder users would indeed cast the original instruction as 'rpm -e
--nodeps ...' which will override the dependency warnings.

>and if so,
>what command do I use to install the new kde.

This is a different ball game. I always begin with 'rpm -Uhv --test
...' to see what messages appear. If none, go ahead. If messages
appear, deal with them first.

Stefan Jeglinski