newbie needing big help

Jonathan Metts yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Apr 14 14:39:01 2002

Success...so far.  Well, I went back and checked the two dependency
problems, one I definitly didn't need, the other was questionable.
Anyway I decided to be a little ballsy, I mean if I had to reinstall
everything, who cares, I have experience at least in the YDL
installation disk, so I used the --nodeps otion in the removal.  I did a
test run on the install, and had 3 dep problems.  I said screw it and
used --nodeps again.  Everything installed, and voila, after typing
"satrtx" it booted just fine. I hope those dep issues don't come back to
haunt me though.

If it is ok, could someone explain the whole dep thing to me...is it
simply that one program might depend on another simply to be able to
run?

Thanks for the help...I will be needing soem more, so I hope this list
doesn't mind me using it to help learn Linux.

Much appreciation!  Any suggestions on where in the Linux system would
be good to start trying to tweak for my system...I know the kernel is
off limits to me right now, but I would like to use one of the benh
kernels, it seems as though many PPC people prefer his.  Any
suggestions, I want my G4 to fly, so I can use Linux solely.

Current neccessities:
	Print Capabilities
	CD rom issues - says "mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block 		device"
	Use second Processor - I downloaded and installed the SMP one 		off the
YDL site, but didn't see any improvement
		Should I?