services cross-talk

Andy Hocker yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Apr 16 08:53:01 2002

Hi,

I wanted to have networking disabled by default and then
just start it by hand when I need it, so I did this:

chkconfig --del network

I rebooted and it didn't try to start lo or eth0 (good), but it
tried and failed to start pmud (bad).  After logging in I did:

service pmud status

and got a message like "pmud dead but (something) is locked."
Can't remember what the "something" was.  When I added
networking back in and rebooted, pmud worked again.

I can't understand why these two things are coupled....
any ideas?

Thanks,
Andy

Andy Hocker                     office: CDF trailer 168-O
University of Rochester         phone:     (630)-840-8622
Fermilab/CDF - M.S. 318         fax:       (630)-840-2968
PO Box 500                      e:        hocker@fnal.gov
Batavia, IL  60510              hey ho:          let's go