RAID setup under LDL 2.1 (Iain Stevenson)

Christopher Murtagh yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Apr 19 09:00:15 2002

On Fri, 19 Apr 2002, T.J. Sullivan wrote:
>Like I had said in my original note, I had turned All the related RAID
>stuff I could find when I compiled my kernel. This did not work with the
>standard kernel either. Thoughts? TIA

 I had so many reliability problems with software RAID that I completely
gave up on it. If you can afford it, hardware RAID is most definitely the
way to go, and it is getting cheaper all the time. Whatever you do, if you
do go with hardware RAID, make sure that you don't get a PCI card that
does your RAID. Instead, get one that has a SCSI input with the RAID
hardware built in the box. This way you don't have to worry about hardware
conflicts, drivers, etc. etc. etc., and all you need to do is have a
working SCSI card. Since I've been using hardware RAID, live has been
sweet. :-)

 http://www.mcgill.ca/secretaboutbox/cochise_and_raid.jpg :-)

Cheers,

Chris