Optical mouse strangeness

Paolo Cordone yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Apr 19 13:33:03 2002

At 6:35 -0700 19/04/2002, Eric Baker wrote:

>Here's the problem:  During the graphical
>install, the mouse functioned perfectly.  After the
>installation/reboot, the graphical login screen
>appears with the mouse arrow, but the arrow won't
>move.  The keyboard works fine.  The mouse works fine
>in OS 9.  Is there something that isn't configured
>properly?  Has anyone else seen this problem?

Eric,

This must be the most common problem around. I have subscribed to the
list for three days and have seen several messages about this. I
myself had the same problem, so I took the liberty to collect some of
the answers here and have created a mini-FAQ about the 'broken'
pointer :-)
I have not tried all of the workarounds, so it's at your discretion
to follow them.

-- 1. My own solution --

1) log in as root first
2) press Alt-F2 and type xconfigurator
3) you should get a window informing you of the location of your
video card. Press OK
4) select the monitor type from the next 2 windows
5) set your preferred resolution
6) set the colour depth
7) select whether you want acceleration to be active
8) switch between text or graphical login method!

-- 2. from Stefan Jeglinski --

change from runlevel 5 to runlevel 3. In /etc/inittab:
id:3:initdefault:

-- 3. Dan Burcaw --

Try changing /etc/sysconfig/desktop
from: DESKTOP=KDE to DESKTOP=GNOME

--

Obviously there seems to be a problem with using the graphical login
in KDE. Since I prefer to use KDE, I settled with using the text

Hope this helps,

Paolo
--
Paolo G. Cordone