Solved: ATI Radeon 7000 w/ XFree86 4.2

Robert M. Fuhrer yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Apr 20 12:16:00 2002

Turns out that the main problem was that, as suggested, the Radeon needs
to live in the top slot on the PCI bus (bus ID 0:13:0). This got past the
"hung-after PCI scan" problem.

Next, my embedded trackpad (Alps GlidePoint keyboard) needed the
mouse device to be /dev/input/mice and protocol "IMPS/2".

Once I finally got into X, my keyboard mapping was horribly screwed up.

I partially fixed this by going into the Preferences->Peripherals->Keyboard
panel and enabling the keyboard layout and selecting Generic 104-key PC
layout.  This at least gives me the use of most of the keyboard.

Unfortunately, the layout isn't quite right - the arrow keys, home/end, and
page up/down are all mapped to odd things.

I've tried the couple of other keyboard layouts that look like they could
possibly work, but no dice.

Anyone know how I should set up my keyboard to get it completely
working?  Do I need to grab a layout from somewhere else?

The relevant section from my XF86Config-4 is:

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Keyboard0"
	Driver		"keyboard"

	Option		"CustomKeycodes"