D-Link DFE-650 in PB 2400

Pete Peters yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Apr 20 13:32:01 2002

Tom,

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC there is no PCMCIA support for the
Powerbook 1400, 2400, and 5300 laptops. The only networking you can do is
thru the serial port at a blistering 57600kps.

Pete

-----Original Message-----
From: yellowdog-general-admin@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
[mailto:yellowdog-general-admin@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com]On Behalf
Of Tom Rymes
Sent: Friday, April 19, 2002 2:04 PM
To: yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Subject: D-Link DFE-650 in PB 2400

Hi there,

I use a Global Village PowerPort PLatinum Pro combo card in MacOS. I
haven't verified, but I don't think that card is usable under Linux.

However, I have a D-link 16-bit 10/100 card (Model DFE-650) that is
supported under PPC according to the list of supported cards at
http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/ftp/SUPPORTED.CARDS

However, I can't seem to get it to work. Admittedly, I have never tried
anything with PCMCIA under Linux before, so I have no idea what I am
doing.

Using 'cardctl status'I get the following:

Socket 0:
   3.3V 16-bit PC Card
   function 0: [ready]
Socket 1
   5V 16-bit PC Card
   function 0: [ready], [wp]

Then, if I issue a 'cardctl config' command:

Socket 0:
   Vcc 3.3V Vpp1 3.3V Vpp2 3.3V
Socket 1:
   Vcc 5.0V Vpp1 5.0V Vpp2 5.0V

The Card in socket 1 is the D-Link DFE-650 Network card, while the card
in Socket 0 is a PCMCIA Compact Flash card that I would also like to get
working.

The 'cardinfo' program is not installed on this system, but I found a
replacement on FreshMeat. I have no easy way to transfer it from my
other computer without a network card.

Any ideas? My config is as follows:

PowerBook 2400c/180 (original 603ev, not a G3)
80MB RAM, Running YDL 2.2 and the 2.4 kernel included with the distro.

One note: PCMCIA doesn't seem to load under the 2.2 kernel, but pmud
fails at boot time under the 2.4 kernel

Also, is there a way to eject PCMCIA cards without resorting to a
paperclip? The eject buttons on the 2400 don' work.

Thank You,

Tom