Please make your subject line decriptive and relevant (was "RE: 2 questions")

Stefan Jeglinski yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Apr 21 09:04:01 2002

>However, as I did not see the point raised for messages such as
>"Beige G3 question", "What happened?", or "Wow", I did not think
>that there would be a major problem with my not-totally-descriptive
>subject line.

You mean "totally-not-descriptive." :-)

The problem is endemic. If Pete pointed this out for every infraction
on this list (and many others for that matter), he would do nothing
else in his life. He unfortunately picked you as an example. I
wouldn't take it personally...

I agree wholeheartedly with Pete, and would even extend it further:
the amount of space wasted on lists in general not only with these
nondescriptive subjects but also bodies that say things equivalent to
"it doesn't work - why?" with no other information... is unbelievable.

It's easier to be non-descriptive, of course, and I'm not perfect nor
is anyone else - sometimes I don't even realize I'm doing it. But
I've found from experience, that presenting a descriptive title and
beyond that showing what I told the computer and what it told me
(rather than assertion without evidence), gets me a 10-fold better
response with 10-fold better quality of response.

And of course, sometimes nobody ever responds at all and you're all
alone. Them's the breaks, but I find that happens less here than with
many commercial concerns who supposedly give support.

Stefan Jeglinski