Please make your subject line decriptive and relevant (was "RE: 2 questions")

Zenzele Bell yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Apr 21 09:23:01 2002

> I agree wholeheartedly with Pete, and would even
> extend it further:
> the amount of space wasted on lists in general not
> only with these
> nondescriptive subjects but also bodies that say
> things equivalent to
> "it doesn't work - why?" with no other
> information... is unbelievable.

i provide  email support for a very popular
filesharing application.  it's amazing to me the
amount of email i get with text such as "help me it
doesn't work," along with equally-evasive subject
lines.  it takes much longer to get help that way,
because i have to go back and forth, starting with
"please describe the problem in as many detailed words
as you can."  i also figure that, if they were too
busy to type out a more thoughtful email, perhaps i
should wait awhile before i respond.  very often,
asking them to be more descriptive doesn't even help,
so more time is wasted with back-and-forth messages.
in my free time, if i'm checking my mailing list
emails, if i don't automatically see a subject header
that contains relevant information about an issue, or
is at least interesting to me, i delete it without
even opening it.

zenzele