Please make your subject line decriptive and relevant (was "RE: 2 questions")

Paolo Cordone yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Apr 21 14:19:01 2002

On 21/04/2002, at 11:03 -0400, you wrote:

>You mean "totally-not-descriptive." :-)

OK, OK, I admit it, it was the most vague subject line in a while
(after "Wow", of course...)
Anyway, I agree about what you say, and from now on I shall adhere to
the general consensus.

>He unfortunately picked you as an example. I wouldn't take it personally...

No worries, I have a thick skin, having been a netizen for over 12
years, I have sees far worse, especially on Usenet  and at the time
of BBSes :-)

>But I've found from experience, that presenting a descriptive title
>and beyond that showing what I told the computer and what it told me
>(rather than assertion without evidence), gets me a 10-fold better
>response with 10-fold better quality of response.

Quite right. My only gripe is that my using a non-descriptive subject
did not warrant a most inappropriate usage of all caps. Unless it was
a deliberate attempt to intimidate me (maybe John thought I was an
email newbie?) I cannot see why he could not have said what he wanted
to say in a more contained way (just as you did in your email).
Anyway, life is too short for this sort of things. Let's move on...I
will use both my not-descriptive subject and John's shouting as bad
examples of netiquette :-)

Paolo