PB -KDE sound

KJC yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Apr 30 15:57:01 2002

I don't have a sound card but need to hear sound both in KDE and in
sound processing apps. I have a PB G3 (1999-2000) 500Mhz

Every time I bootup YDL 2.2  I get two error messages concerning the
sound server(Arts?):

1) sound server informational message:
Error while initializing the sound driver:
device /dev/dsp can't be opened (no such device)
The sound server will continue,using the null output device.

2)sound server informational message:
Error while initializing the sound driver:
SNDCTL_DSP_SETFMT failed - invalid argument.
The sound server will continue,using the null output device.

Needless to say I have no sound in KDE although /dev/dsp exists. Xmms
only works if I choose the output plugin 'esound Output plugin 1.2.5'
[libesdout.so]
with Wave Player 1.2.5 [libwav.so] to play .wav sound files.

How do I get KDE to make system sounds and open the dsp?

Any help will be most appreciated,
Keith Cross