more CUPS ?'s

Cynthia Croy yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Aug 22 11:33:01 2002

My attempts to print have not yet yielded any successes. If anyone has
any suggestions, I would appreciate them very much.

I downloaded the CUPS binary from the YDL site, thinking I might have
better luck if I reduced the number of steps by not having to compile
source code. I keep getting a connection refused message. It happens
both from the web based and command line interfaces. Things I've done so
far:

I stopped the lpr service.
I noticed that both cups and local had S99 in the rc3.d file, so I
changed cups to S98.
I edited the cupsd.conf file as described in the software administrators
manual under troubleshooting (I Can't Do Administration Tasks from
Another Machine!).
I added localhost:631 to the listen section of the cupsd.conf file. I
also uncommented Port 631 in this section. I also set HostNameLookups to
On.

None of these made any difference.

Other possible symptoms of my problem:

Whenever I restart cups, stopping cups returns failed, and starting
cupsd returns OK. I found cups startup succeeded in the startup output
both at startup and in /var/log/messages.

What was in the /var/log/cups/error_log. It says:
Listening to 0:631
Listening to 7f000001:631
Configured for up to 100 clients
LoadPPDs: Read "/etc/cups/ppds.dat", 53 PPDs...
LoadPPDs: No new or changed PPDs...
StartListening: Unable to bind socket - Address already in use.

I'm wondering if this last line could be my problem. "Address already in
use" sounds like something that would cause connection refused problems.
One of the first things I did was download (and compile and install) the
source code from rawhide (thanks for the suggestion Kaoru). As I recall,
I had the same connection refused message with that one, but I'm
wondering if the message with the new install could be from leftovers
from the first install. I'm not sure how to go about removing them
though, since the KDE package manager only shows the binary package.

Does anyone else have an Apple Postscript Level 1 printer working? I got
the Apple PPD from Adobe's site. I also have ppd-o-matic files from
linuxprinting (although they didn't have one specifically for my
printer). Linuxprinting says that these have translators to allow
applications that don't recognize Postscript Level 1 to print to level 1
printers. Which applications would need this? Is this even necessary
with the driver from Apple? Also, these files have a .cgi extension. I'm
not familiar with that format. Do I have to run them through another
application to make them work?

Other information that may be necessary:

YDL 2.2 install
PowerBase 180 with Powerlogix G3 card
Apple Laserwriter Select 310 connected through serial port

Thanks everyone,

Cindy