OpenSSH Help

bronto yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Aug 30 22:34:01 2002

Quick question (I hope) about using OpenSSH.

I am going to move my server to a co location site and am preparing
to do all administration remotely.  Certain things need to be done as
root, so I am verifying that I can log in to sshd as root.  Yes, I
know this is dangerous; my plan is to disable root login until I need
it, enable it, do the work, then disable it again.

In my config file, I have PermitRootLogin as "yes", yet I still
cannot log in as root.  I can log in easily using any other username.
When I attempt to log in, my client reports "Login incorrect", yet
I'm sure I've got the password correct.  I have restarted OpenSSH
after changing PermitRootLogin.

Ideas?

TIA

Rob